Monday, May 14, 2012

Charity on the road

When you think you have seen it all or heard it all, you just get surprised once again. I was riding my bike to office and on the way and I saw a three ladies a few yards ahead. Two of them had stopped a guy on his bike and the third one was waving at me to stop. She had a disturbing bossy personality. I thought she needed help, the bike would have stopped working. I knew I wouldn't be able to help if there was a problem. They would need to drag the bike another half a kilometer to a repair shop or take an auto and go to the petrol station in case they had run out of fuel. I just stopped my bike to apologize to her that I wouldn't be able to help.

Before I go on, picture this, I stay at the other end of Bangalore, outside the city. It was once a village but now a few societies have come up and sky rise apartments. The area is therefore, still pretty much a village. You would see cars and bikes mostly during the start and end of day when they commute to office. Otherwise, it's mostly a silent, isolated area. This lady stops me in the middle of the road. The other two ladies are busy talking to the guy on the bike. She 'demands' "Kannada?" I said no. "Hindi?" I said yes. This was happening too fast for me to comprehend anything. She then shows me a laminated photo of an orphanage or something and asks me for a donation. I tell her, "Sorry, I am late for office" and rode off.

As I rode ahead, I simply couldn't believe the foolishness of these women. First of all I don't even know if they were genuine 'chanda' seekers. Secondly, if you are out to get charity, do you stop people driving in the middle of the road in to ask them to donate to your orphanage or school? Really woman, really? You scared me, thinking there was an accident or a problem with your bike only to realize that the other two women were probably harassing the other guy.

What can I say? It happens only in India?

No comments: