Yesterday, I logged in my blog account after may be months and months and I have put a comment moderation as I had horrible spam comments.
Surprisingly, I have so far never seen a hate comment. I have seen other websites post a link to my ‘Punishment of the grave’ page on my MBA blog and making weird comments on their website but not on my page.
Anyways, so I log in and have 60+ comments for moderation. One of them was by a person named Sharique who was so happy to read my story ‘Sharique’. I spent another half hour reading the story I wrote years ago about a man married to a bad woman but how he persevered until he died without divorcing his wife.
I made Sharique from a number of characters – few men in my life and my family and friend’s families – and what I had seen of them. I also wrote it when I was single. When I had no idea what it was to be in a bad marriage. It was easy to write ‘he persevered’, ‘he forgave’ but when it’s you who is living it, I wonder how much would I or you preserve?
Given the chance, I don’t know if I would have changed the story or twisted the plot. Should I have made Sharique give warnings to his wife to behave otherwise he would leave the house? Should he have left temporarily so that Zareena would have understood she couldn’t go on with her behavior, should they have sought marriage counseling? As I write counseling there is a smile on my face for the story is based in a setting and era where there was no concept of therapy and counseling. All the therapy and counseling you needed was just to walk down to your friend’s home and pour your heart out.
Anyways, the story is fine as it is I conclude for it is for a different generation who were brought up with different values. I also find Zareena’s character rather mild now: how bad of a wife was she? Apparently, she did take care of the house and bring up her children. She didn’t have an affair or vices like smoking and drinking. This marriage was one of incompatibility and Zareena’s vice was that she was unthankful, greedy for wealth and a show-off.
Which is the greater vice? To indulge in sinful acts or to be a relatively okay person with a number of character flaws?
Surprisingly, I have so far never seen a hate comment. I have seen other websites post a link to my ‘Punishment of the grave’ page on my MBA blog and making weird comments on their website but not on my page.
Anyways, so I log in and have 60+ comments for moderation. One of them was by a person named Sharique who was so happy to read my story ‘Sharique’. I spent another half hour reading the story I wrote years ago about a man married to a bad woman but how he persevered until he died without divorcing his wife.
I made Sharique from a number of characters – few men in my life and my family and friend’s families – and what I had seen of them. I also wrote it when I was single. When I had no idea what it was to be in a bad marriage. It was easy to write ‘he persevered’, ‘he forgave’ but when it’s you who is living it, I wonder how much would I or you preserve?
Given the chance, I don’t know if I would have changed the story or twisted the plot. Should I have made Sharique give warnings to his wife to behave otherwise he would leave the house? Should he have left temporarily so that Zareena would have understood she couldn’t go on with her behavior, should they have sought marriage counseling? As I write counseling there is a smile on my face for the story is based in a setting and era where there was no concept of therapy and counseling. All the therapy and counseling you needed was just to walk down to your friend’s home and pour your heart out.
Anyways, the story is fine as it is I conclude for it is for a different generation who were brought up with different values. I also find Zareena’s character rather mild now: how bad of a wife was she? Apparently, she did take care of the house and bring up her children. She didn’t have an affair or vices like smoking and drinking. This marriage was one of incompatibility and Zareena’s vice was that she was unthankful, greedy for wealth and a show-off.
Which is the greater vice? To indulge in sinful acts or to be a relatively okay person with a number of character flaws?
No comments:
Post a Comment