Friday, December 26, 2008

Mumbai and a wedding

Those of you who have read my MBA blog would know that I love love Mumbai. I was happy to go back to the city of aspirations as my childhood friend was getting married there. (The groom is from Mumbai). This time though I avoided golas and juices from the carts as I was scared by my husband! But I couldn't resist Noorani's bread and mince meat and since I don't drink tea, cool cold milkshakes.
The wedding was amazing. One thing among weddings especially Indian ones is that expect a lot of relatives to feel bad on tiny stuffs, quarrels, accusations (I gave you the packet! Why didn't u bring it?!) and dis satisfactions (Where is your mom? Where is the food? where is the bride? where is the bridesmaid?) Yes, I was the so-called main bridesmaid but since I was not there with my friend (while 10 relatives where fussing over her) I got laid off and told off much like a job.
The food was excellent. I mean it. I feel like OK not mine but my children's wedding I will do it in Mumbai just for the food. Amazing amazing biryani, platter of mixed meats, wonderful ice cream and imagine this - Watermelon soda!
I also got lots of gifts and cash. It was in all a very grand, very loud and very big fat Indian wedding. My friend looked lovely in her bridal wear. I was happy to see that both she and her husband share a friendship and can pull each others legs! :)
As for sight seeing.. I went to Marine drive, rode on the horse chariot and had cold coffee at Barista with my friends. Not a place I would go in Mumbai (I hate brands - There are places unknown and that's where you get the best stuff).
Shopping!!! haha.. yep you guessed it... I went with a decently chained bag and came back with a bag almost busting and I couldn't push it beneath the seat of my berth and I had to request the side berth passengers if I could keep it under theirs as the side berth is a little higher. I had a lower berth (which is OK compared to the middle berth) but I am all for the upper berth as that is the place you can climb and sleep and sleep and sleep especially when you are returning from Mumbai as the wedding was hectic and by the time we were home it was 1.30 am and by the time I had finished packing it was 3.30 am and by the time I was asleep it was 4.30 am. I got up for the dawn prayer and immediately went to sleep. My friend's mom came at 6.30 am to take me for breakfast but I was not in the condition to have any.
Once I was settled in the train I was lucky that the upper berth was given to an old lady who wanted the lower berth "By all means!!" I thanked God. I jumped up, put my pillow and slept soundly waking up only for lunch and dinner and to read for around an hour. As you guess I am back home and feeling completely refreshed even though I have travelled 24 hours. That is why I love train journeys. You get the chance to relax which otherwise you wouldn't in air travels what with the 3 hrs before reporting, bag gaging, immigration , waiting and to repeat the whole thing again in 2 hours.
Back to home sweet home and a lot of cleaning!

No comments: